Crunchy, sweet, filling, delicious; I think we can all agree that granola is pretty amazing. I love adding it to my smoothie bowls or having it on it’s own as a snack. Now, let me tell you, it’s really not that easy to find vegan granola at a regular grocery store. Often times there’s honey or milk powder in them (why?!) and so I spend about 20 minutes reading ingredient lists before I finally find a vegan option, and it’s pretty much always the most expensive one.
Whilst reading through all those ingredient lists I realised; hey, I could easily make this myself. So that’s what I did. I can confirm that this granola is pretty damn tasty, and judging by how fast the jar empties at home, I think my whole family agrees. So here’s my recipe for vegan granola, filled with nutrients and deliciousness, that won’t break the bank.
- 3 cups oats (I used instant oatmeal oats)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- In a big bowl, add and mix all your dry ingredients (oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, chopped peanuts, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt)
- In a separate bowl, mix your coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients, and mix. I find this is easiest done with clean bare hands. Make sure the wet ingredients evenly coat everything.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Transfer your mixture to the baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once you take it out of the oven, let it cool.
- Once cooled, break apart the baked product. It will initially look like a big cookie, but it is easy to separate. You can leave as many or little big chunks as you desire. At this stage you can also add in your raisins.
- Once completely cool, store your granola in a airtight glass of plastic container.
And that’s that! Sprinkle graciously in the mornings to be set for a great day. Something I love about this recipe is that it’s so easily adjustable; once you get the wet and dry ingredient ratio right, you can add in any ingredients you want.
Let me know if you try this recipe out!