I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today, it is by far one of my favourites. Before I go on I should say that I cannot take credit for this delicious soup recipe; my mom came up with this and although I’ve made a few tweaks, she’s the one that really invented it.
I used to really not be a butternut squash fan, but this soup completely changed my mind. It’s creamy and so flavourful, plus the coconut adds a really pleasant sweetness to this dish. It’s also super filling; a big bowl of this stuff will fill you up fast. I love making big batches of this and having it throughout the week. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, so without further ado, here’s the recipe:
You will need a large saucepan and a blender (hand-held or stationary both work well)
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 4 stems celery
- 1 medium butternut squash (or pumpkin, both work well)
- 8 baby potatoes
- 4 stems parsley
- 2 veggie stock cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pack (250ml) coconut cream
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt, pepper and chilli powder to taste
- ~6 cups water
- Prepare all your vegetables. Make sure to cut your carrots, potatoes and butternut squash into small cubes in order to facilitate faster cooking.
- Fry your garlic and onion in olive oil. Keep stirring until they start to brown; add a little bit of water during this process if needed.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes and butternut squash to the pan and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add in your parsley (chopped) as well as the salt, pepper and chilli.
- Add ~6 cups of water to the pan; make sure all your vegetables are covered.
- Add stock cubes and tomato paste to the pan. Stir in and cover.
- Allow the vegetables to cook for around 50 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the vegetables are soft, take the pan off the heat.
- Using a immersion blender, mix everything together until smooth. If you are using a stationary blender, transfer the mixture to the blender and mix until smooth.
- Once smooth, add coconut cream and soy sauce to the soup.
- Place the pan back on the heat and let cook for another 10 minutes. Add some more salt, pepper or chilli if wanted.
- Serve and enjoy.
Let me know if you try this out and what you think!