It’s been a while since I’ve shared a recipe with you guys, so I thought today I would share one of my favourite creations with you; tofu scramble. This is a vegan classic and it’s definitely a staple in my diet. It’s perfect for when you’re craving a savoury breakfast, or I often eat it for lunch as well. It takes very little time to prepare and you end up with a filling, nutritious and protein-packed meal.
If you’re new to veganism and are craving scrambled eggs, definitely give this a go. The taste of eggs is not really there, but the consistency definitely is. If you’re looking for a more eggy taste try adding black salt, which has a sulphur taste. I personally don’t have any egg craving so I skip out on this ingredient. Adding the turmeric to this recipe is good for two reasons; turmeric is great for you and it also adds a yellow colour, making the tofu look more like egg. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Serves: 2 people
- 1 block firm tofu (around 350g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning
- Splash of water (around 1 tbsp)
- Optional: any extra veggies. I added frozen chopped spinach (1 cup), but you can also add mushrooms, onion, red pepper; anything you’d like!
- Drain your tofu and remove as much liquid from it as possible. You can do this by pressing it between paper towels.
- In a bowl, crumble your tofu with your hands. You should get a lot of small chunks. Put your bowl aside.
- In a frying or non-stick pan, add your oil and any vegetables you want to add. Let them cook for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add your tofu to the pan and mix it thoroughly with the vegetables.
- Add all your spices to the pan, as well as the splash of water. The water will help the spices mix in better with the tofu and vegetables.
- Let cook for 4 – 5 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Serve as it is, or with some toast.
Let me know if you guys try this out; I would love to know what you think. And if you have any recipes you’d like to see me share, do let me know in the comments! I share my food regularly on Instagram.
Parts of this post were originally written by me for the Uncaptive Co blog, see here: https://www.uncaptive.co.uk/blog/2018/2/9/how-to-construct-an-epic-vegan-breakfast-for-valentines-day